Your Legal Rights Impacted by COVID-19
Legal services are considered essential under the professional services exemption to the Governor’s Executive Orders. Some recent changes in the law relating to the current COVID-19 pandemic may affect your business. Evictions, employee and customer protections, insurance issues as well as how the courts are currently operating have all changed. The Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFRCRA) expanded employees’ rights to paid leave. However, some small businesses may be exempt. Our office handles estate planning, probate estates, business services and litigation, employment issues, landlord/tenant issues, insurance disputes and real estate. Your rights and legal strategies in many of these areas have been impacted by the pandemic.
Responding to COVID-19
The health and wellbeing of our clients, our employees and our community is our top priority and we are closely monitoring the latest information provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local governments. We are adapting our procedures to reflect the updated guidelines and evolving situation of COVID-19 in order to keep our employees and clients safe.
The most important thing is to make sure we conduct business in a safe environment and to maintain business continuity so that our clients do not have to worry. Our staff has been developing procedures and preventive measures to minimize risks. For the protection of all, our updated procedures will include frequent hand washing with soap and water, making temperature checks available, routine cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched objects and surfaces, practicing social distancing of at least 6 feet, and wearing face coverings.
Here’s what you can expect from us during this time:
- In-person meetings are limited to a maximum occupancy of 50% of office capacity, while social distancing at least six-feet from other individuals.
- For everyone’s safety, handshaking is prohibited during this time.
- Hand sanitizer has been made available throughout the office.
- Clients and staff will be required to wear face coverings over their nose and mouth, unless you are physically unable to do so. We have masks available for your use if you do not have one.
- Our conference room has a large table that allows social distancing in a safe manner while we are meeting with you.
- Separate operating hours for vulnerable populations are available at your request.
- Upon arrival, each client will have their temperature taken and may be asked specific COVID-19 screening questions. For your peace of mind, our staff will also be happy to have their temperatures checked as well.
We encourage our clients to wear masks or facial coverings, wash/sanitize your hands before coming to the office, and — most importantly — stay at home if you are feeling sick or experiencing any symptoms.
We continue to provide our clients with the best service. Our office is ready to take care of your legal needs. Please call our office at (309) 687-6000.
William C. Connor, Attorney at Law, PC
William Connor has been practicing the law in Central Illinois for over 25 years, including over 12 years as the owner of his own firm. Mr. Connor is licensed by the Supreme Court of the State of Illinois, the US District Court for the Central District of Illinois, and the US Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit.
In addition to his duties as lawyer and small business owner, Mr. Connor has served the community as Board Chair of the Children’s Home Association of Illinois, and is a member in good standing of the Rotary Club of Peoria.
In 1996 Mr. Connor was named by his peers as a Leading Illinois Attorney in the area of Trusts and Estates. In 2001 he was honored in InterBusiness Issues’ annual 40 Under 40 issue, and, in 2009, Mr. Connor was honored to receive the Peoria County Bar Association’s Outstanding Community Service Award.
Michael R. Biggott, Associate Attorney
Michael (“Mike”) Biggott received his bachelor’s degree in Political Science from Northern Illinois University in 2016 before going on to earn his Juris Doctor from Northern Illinois University College of Law in 2019. During his time in law school, Michael served as a Lead Articles Editor for the NIU Law Review and published an article in the Fall 2018 journal.
With each transaction, we provide:
- Prompt client response
- Cloud access to the transaction documents as they are being formulated
- Flexible office hours to fit your schedule
Every business transaction comes with its own set of intricacies. With more than two decades of experience, we have the expertise to help you close the deal.